108. How to work with a data scientistJul 20, 2022
Some problems that annoy you daily could be solved by AI, but most business teams don't know that because they’ve never discussed them with a technologist. Listen to this episode with Dr Catherine Breslin, a machine learning scientist with a PhD from Cambridge, to learn how to make the most of the AI revolution.
Dr Breslin was one of the first people to work on Amazon Alexa and today leaders Kingfisher Labs, a consulting company.
Learning notes from this episode:
- For AI to have the biggest impact, data scientists need the input of domain experts, who are usually non-techies.
- To collaborate successfully with a data scientist, Dr Breslin suggests that non-technical teams bring their business wish list to a data scientist. Some of the items will probably be easily solved by technology, while others will not. Having regular discussions between tech teams and business teams will widen your scope of what’s possible.
- Buying data to build models is a significant cost, which needs to be built into estimates for a data science project.
- The three factors that influence how effective voice technology can be are language, subject, accent. Voice AI is effective for simple every-day tasks like “what’s the weather today?” in a language spoken by lots of people, but often struggles with specialist subject areas or smaller languages.
- Voice technology is most effective for the “big’ languages: English, Mandarin and Spanish.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Dr Catherine Breslin on Twitter
- What data scientists do and how to work with them
- The Business of AI with Harvard Business School Prof Marco Iansiti
- AI, visual search & entrepreneurship with Jenny Griffiths MBE
Book one of the 10 free coaching slots with Sophia here. This is only available in July 2022.
Listen here on Apple Podcasts
Listen here on Spotify
If you like learning about how tech products and profits get made, you'll like our newsletter.
It's funny too. Sign up here.
There are 2 ways to apply this work to your goals:
For individuals, APPLY FOR A CONSULTATION CALL for Tech For Non-Techies membership.
For companies: If you want to increase productivity, innovation and diversity, then your non-technical teams need to learn how to collaborate with the techies.
BOOK A CALL to discuss bespoke training & consulting.
We love hearing from our readers and listeners. So if you have questions about the content or working with us, just get in touch on [email protected]
(Photo by provided by Dr Catherine Breslin)
Sign up to our mailing list!
Be the first to hear about offers, classes and events