78. How to review your year with UX Designer Sang Valte
Dec 21, 2021
“Follow effective action with quiet reflection. From the quiet reflection will come even more effective action” - Peter Drucker.
As 2021 comes to a close, it's useful to reflect on what worked, what didn't and how your industry evolved.
In this episode, you'll hear from Sang Valte, Senior UX Director at international design agency Jellyfish, and Design Standards Board Member at General Assembly, about how he reviews his year and how the UX changed in 2021.
Questions to ask yourself for your end of year review:
- What have you gained in your health & wealth? Where have you lost? Sang thinks of wealth in relationships, friendships and knowledge, and health in terms of financial health, mental health and physical health.
- What have you done to further your skills in your career this year? Good UX designers must work to remove bias from their thinking to truly understand the users they make products for, says Sang. To sharpen critical thinking and dull bias, his recommended reads are Noise by Daniel Kahnemann and Think Again by Adam Grant.
- What have you done to build relationships for your career? Build relationships before you need them. When the pandemic hit in early 2020, Sang had a job offer, which suddenly fell through. He spent 5 months applying for jobs fruitlessly, and landed a dream opportunity when he reached out to someone he met at a design conference.
- How has your industry changed in 2021? In your end of year review, think beyond your experience and think about how the sector evolved. Reflecting on the trends will help you capitalise on them in future. For example, Sang says that the UX field now has more senior women in it than ever before, and that there is a new interest in diverse thought.
If you want 2022 to be the year when you take your career to the next level, apply for Sophia’s Break Into Tech Program.
Sophia will teach you what you really need to know about tech to succeed as a non-technical professional, help you come up with a tailored career action plan and support you throughout your journey.
Listen here on Spotify.
Join the Tech for Non-Techies membership community. As a community member, you'll get:
- Monthly coaching with Sophia Matveeva
- Live masterclasses with global experts
- Supportive Online Community
- Library of masterclasses
- Exclusive Resources & Perks
Learn more and sign up at https://www.techfornontechies.co/membership
Say hi to Sophia on Twitter.
Following us on Facebook and Instagram will make you smarter.