84. What UX designers do and how to work with them
Feb 02, 2022
”Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like. People think it's this veneer — that the designers are told, 'Make it look good! ' That's not what design is. It's not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works,” - Steve Jobs
In this episode, you''ll hear from Sarah Doody, a UX designer who has worked for the likes of Vice Media and Dow Jones. Today Sarah runs Career Strategy Lab, a school for UX designers.
Learning notes from this episode:
- "User experience design is how you interact with a product, whether it's digital, physical or a mix of both," Sarah Doody.
- When hiring a UX designer, think about the outcome that you want, rather than the process. E.g. Do you want a prototype to test an idea? Then you don't need the same level of attention to graphics as you would for a design you would give to developers.
- If you want to transition into a career in UX design, your experience in another field can be the perfect way in. E.g. if you're a journalist and want to work in UX, you could begin by designing products for journalists.
Check out Sarah's Career Strategy Lab and say hi to her on Twitter.
Listen here on Spotify.
Join the Tech for Non-Techies membership community. As a community member, you'll get:
- Monthly coaching with Sophia Matveeva
- Live masterclasses with global experts
- Supportive Online Community
- Library of masterclasses
- Exclusive Resources & Perks
Learn more and sign up at https://www.techfornontechies.co/membership
Say hi to Sophia on Twitter.
Following us on Facebook and Instagram will make you smarter.