120. Think like a Venture Capitalist to have a great career
Oct 14, 2022
Technological change can feel overwhelming even to the world's top technologists. To figure out what's relevant for your career, learn from people who do this professionally: venture capitalists.
- “The business strategies employed by highly successful start-ups and the career strategies employed by highly successful individuals are strikingly similar," says Reid Hoffman in his book The Startup of You.
- Venture capital premise 1: technology is a tool that solves a problem
- Ask yourself: what problems is your industry facing now? What problems are you dealing with on day-to-day basis?
- Venture capital Premise 2: the problem must be important enough to solve
- Even if the problem exists, it might not be important enough to solve.
- This is why, you need to think: where is the biggest money drain? Where is the biggest productivity drain?
- Venture capital premise 3: Invest in the future, not in the now
VCs are not investing in today. They are investing in years and even decades ahead. Let’s use the same approach to your career.
Does your industry or the company you are working at look promising? Make a plan for how to adjust for future changes. Making a career change always takes longer than we want.
- Venture capital premise 4: diversify your assets
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Listen here on Spotify
If you like learning about how tech products and profits get made, you'll like our newsletter.
It's funny too. Sign up here.
Tech for Non-Techies clients
- Reach senior leadership positions in Big Tech firms
- Lead digital transformation in established businesses
- Create tech businesses as non-technical founders
- Pivot into careers in venture capital
If you want to have a great career in the Digital Age, then APPLY FOR A CONSULTATION CALL.
What happens when you apply for a consultation call:
- Sophia and her team will look through your application. If they genuinely think Sophia could help you, you will get a link to her calendar..
- You will have a 20 – 30 minute call to discuss your goals and see if you are a good fit for each other.
- If we establish that Tech for Non-Techies courses + coaching could help you and believe we would enjoy working together, we will discuss a relevant approach to suit you.
- The aim of the call is not to sell you on anything that is not right for you. We both win if you get results, but we both lose if you don’t.
We love hearing from our readers and listeners. So if you have questions about the content or working with us, just get in touch on [email protected]
Say hi to Sophia on Twitter and follow her on LinkedIn.
Following us on Facebook, Instagram and TikTok will make you smarter.
(Photo by charlesdeluvio Unsplash)