153. Social graph vs Interest graph: AI lessons from TikTok & InstagramMay 31, 2023
Would you rather listen to a song by an artist you already love? Or an unknown artist and try something new?
Most people want a combination of the familiar and the new.
In social media terms, this is the social graph vs the interest graph. The social graph refers to content from your friends, and the interest graph refers to content based on your interests.
Tech firms based on content consumption, like Meta, Netflix and Spotify have been grappling with this tension for years, and constantly tweaking their algorithms to adjust for familiarity vs discovery.
This debate is a great example of how non-technical professionals get involved in AI development.
If you want to play a role in the AI revolution, but do not have a technical background, this podcast episode is for you.
You will learn:
- The origins of the social graph and how it changed consumer behavior
- How the interest graph disrupted Big Tech
- The role business leaders, psychologists and marketers play in algorithm development
Listen here on Apple Podcasts
Listen here on Spotify
If you have questions about anything you've heard on the podcast
14 June 2023
Ask Sophia Matveeva your questions on:
- Product innovation
- Career growth
- Digital Transformation
Tech for Non-Techies clients
- Reach senior leadership positions in Big Tech firms
- Lead digital transformation in established businesses
- Create tech businesses as non-technical founders
- Pivot into careers in venture capital
We love hearing from our readers and listeners. So if you have questions about the content or working with us, just get in touch on [email protected]
Sign up to our mailing list!
Be the first to hear about offers, classes and events