Intro to Algorithms and Big Data
Dec 09, 2020
In this episode tech entrepreneur and Chicago Booth MBA Sophia Matveeva covers what algorithms are, how they are made and when rubbish data creates rubbish algorithms. Hear how Amazon’s recruiting algorithm experiment went horribly wrong.
Don't let the term algorithm scare you. It's just another word for a set of rules.
Key learning points:
- Algorithms are just sets of rules for computers to follow
- Algorithms need data to be useful
- Data is by definition historic because it is information on what has already happened
- A combination of AI and algorithms can create better user experiences, which can result in more usage, which then results in even more data and happy customers
- Algorithms amplify the data. If there are biases in the data, they will grow as a result of the algorithm. Rubbish data = rubbish algorithms = useless product
Listen here on Spotify.
To join our weekly expert masterclasses, access learning notes and our unique professional community, join the Tech for Non-Techies membership community. As a community member, you'll get:
- Weekly live masterclasses with global experts
- Mini-course on how to go from idea to live app
- Supportive Online Community
- Library of masterclasses
- Monthly live coaching with Sophia Matveeva, tech entrepreneur & Chicago Booth MBA
- Exclusive Resources & Perks
Learn more and sign up at https://www.techfornontechies.co/membership