126. How to become a Digital Leader as the tech sector shrinks
Nov 23, 2022
As the tech sector lays off employees, there is still plenty of opportunity to be a Digital Leader.
Playing the long game is making use of the opportunities you have in front of you today, while keeping your eye on the future.
Here are three ways to become a digital leader today:
- Work in the digital team of a traditional business:
- Some traditional businesses also have innovative tech-like environments. E.g. Levi's has a Head of AI, L'Oreal works with data scientists to predict consumer trends and Tesco hired the same UX design team that worked for Google.
- Working in these teams can give you the same exposure and skill sets as working in Big Tech.
- Word of warning: be careful of traditional businesses that have not yet invested in digital transformation or had success with digital teams. This often means that the leadership's mindset isn't up to date and they are unlikely to be good collaborators in the build-measure-learn approach needed in digital.
- Work with tech sector clients in professional services: banking, consulting, law, marketing etc.
- E.g. investment bankers that make smart suggestions for acquisitions generate big fees and act as strategic advisors to their clients. But, for this they need to speak tech and link product strategy to business strategy.
- Get involved with tech start-ups.
- This gives you the opportunity learn, network and transform your personal brand into being seen as a tech leader.
- Getting involved with start-ups while working in your current role means that when the right opportunity comes, you are ready to grab it.
Listen to the podcast for more:
Listen here on Spotify
Join our next FREE Masterclass on 30 November 2022, 12 pm EST / 5 pm GMT
You will learn:
- The top mistake non-technical leaders make when it comes to tech
- Leadership case studies from Netflix & Microsoft
- How to go from traditional business manager to Digital Leader
SIGN UP HERE
If you like learning about how tech products and profits get made, you'll like our newsletter.
It's funny too. Sign up here.
Tech for Non-Techies clients
- Reach senior leadership positions in Big Tech firms
- Lead digital transformation in established businesses
- Create tech businesses as non-technical founders
- Pivot into careers in venture capital
If you want to have a great career in the Digital Age, then APPLY FOR A CONSULTATION CALL.
What happens when you apply for a consultation call:
- Sophia and her team will look through your application. If they genuinely think Sophia could help you, you will get a link to her calendar..
- You will have a 20 – 30 minute call to discuss your goals and see if you are a good fit for each other.
- If we establish that Tech for Non-Techies courses + coaching could help you and believe we would enjoy working together, we will discuss a relevant approach to suit you.
- The aim of the call is not to sell you on anything that is not right for you. We both win if you get results, but we both lose if you don’t.
We love hearing from our readers and listeners. So if you have questions about the content or working with us, just get in touch on [email protected]
Say hi to Sophia on Twitter and follow her on LinkedIn.
Following us on Facebook, Instagram and TikTok will make you smarter.
(Image by Rahul Chakraborty on Unsplash)