121. Five things you can do to Thrive in the Tech Age
Oct 19, 2022
If you want to have a great career today, you simply have to Speak Tech. But, taking courses is not enough. You must combine learning with smart actions to make your investment pay off.
Here are five action steps you can take today to thrive in the Tech Age:
- Get involved with a tech start-up:
- if you have specialist expertise, offer to become an advisor to a start-up so you can learn how digital innovation works from the inside.
- For example, if you are a lawyer, offer your legal expertise in exchange for sitting in product meetings as an observer.
- Get involved with an accelerator:
- this is like point one, but instead of offering your expertise to a specific start-up, offer it to an organisation that helps start-ups.
- angel investment networks are also another useful route to follow here.
- Create your own tech focussed meet-ups:
- This is especially useful if you want to learn and build your network in a particular niche. For example, if you work in a real estate investment fund, host events with start-ups and corporate innovators who are inventing new products in this space.
- By being the moderator of these discussions, you grow your knowledge, build your network and expand your personal brand.
- Go to the innovation department or the product team and ask them what they are working on.
- One of my students did this. Juliet Eysenck was a journalist at the Telegraph Media Group in the UK. She built relationships with the digital product team and ended up pivoting her career to become a product leader.
- Listen episode 11. How to Transition into Product Management for Non-Techies with Juliet Eysenck to hear how she did it.
- Look at your existing LinkedIn connections, find people who are working in technology innovation and contact them.
- Remember, this contact does have to work in a tech company. They could be like Juliet, working on the digital side of a traditional business innovation.
- Ask these contacts to meet up so you can ask them about their work. You might make new friends or rekindle friendships, while building knowledge for your career.
Join our next FREE training
You will learn:
- The top mistake non-technical leaders make when it comes to tech
- Leadership case studies from Netflix & Microsoft
- How to combine tech & business skills to have a great career
Live online: 26 October 2022, 12 pm EDT / 5 pm BST
Listen here on Spotify
If you like learning about how tech products and profits get made, you'll like our newsletter.
It's funny too. Sign up here.
Tech for Non-Techies clients
- Reach senior leadership positions in Big Tech firms
- Lead digital transformation in established businesses
- Create tech businesses as non-technical founders
- Pivot into careers in venture capital
If you want to have a great career in the Digital Age, then APPLY FOR A CONSULTATION CALL.
What happens when you apply for a consultation call:
- Sophia and her team will look through your application. If they genuinely think Sophia could help you, you will get a link to her calendar..
- You will have a 20 – 30 minute call to discuss your goals and see if you are a good fit for each other.
- If we establish that Tech for Non-Techies courses + coaching could help you and believe we would enjoy working together, we will discuss a relevant approach to suit you.
- The aim of the call is not to sell you on anything that is not right for you. We both win if you get results, but we both lose if you don’t.
We love hearing from our readers and listeners. So if you have questions about the content or working with us, just get in touch on [email protected]
Say hi to Sophia on Twitter and follow her on LinkedIn.
Following us on Facebook, Instagram and TikTok will make you smarter.