100. My story: ambition, tech and the camel incidentMay 25, 2022
Today, I’m doing something a bit different. As our smart community grows, I know that some of you might not know much about me, my story or how I got into this tech thing.
That’s why today, I’m sharing a little bit about me.
I’m sharing this with you so that you can see that the confusion you feel about tech, or the fear that your lack of tech knowledge will be discovered, does not have to be your permanent reality. I want you to see from my example that there are many more opportunities for you than you probably think.
You will also learn what not to wear when riding a camel.
Summary notes from this episode:
- I always wanted to have a great career, but when I graduated in 2005, tech wasn't what it is today. I started my career in the media, then worked in private equity and became a non-technical founder after my MBA.
- I planned to use my MBA to transition into a career in tech, but this was harder than I thought. Business school gave me business skills and a network, but taught me very little about tech.
- Writing for Forbes gave me access to people who succeeded in tech without technical backgrounds. Interviewing non-technical founders, investors and Big Tech executives was a better use of my time than a coding bootcamp.
- To have a great career in today's economy, you need to learn how to work with tech and product teams. This doesn't mean becoming a developer, but it does mean learning how to work with one.
Listen here on Apple Podcasts.
Listen here on Spotify.
If you like learning about how tech products and profits get made, you'll like our newsletter.
It's funny too. Sign up here.
There are 2 ways to apply this work to your goals:
For individuals, APPLY FOR A CONSULTATION CALL for Tech For Non-Techies membership.
For companies: If you want to increase productivity, innovation and diversity, then your non-technical teams need to learn how to collaborate with the techies.
BOOK A CALL to discuss bespoke training & consulting.
We love hearing from our readers and listeners. So if you have questions about the content or working with us, just get in touch on [email protected]
Sign up to our mailing list!
Be the first to hear about offers, classes and events