94. Learning effects: why getting more users isn't the only key to successApr 13, 2022
You've probably heard about network effects, but they aren't the only thing you need. Learning effects build the ultimate moat against your competition.
Learning notes from this episode:
- You get better at speaking a language the more you practice and correct your mistakes. It is the same with algorithms: they get better with time and training.
- The more time and data you have to train an algorithm the more accurate the algorithm’s output will be, and also, the more complex the problems it can solve.
- “Learning effects can either capture or add value to existing network effects or generate value in their own right.” – Competing in the Age of AI, by Marco Iansiti and Karim Lakhani
- Companies that have been training machine learning algorithms for longer are at a competitive advantage. Strong learning effects make it impossible for competitors to catch up.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Sophia Matveeva’s LinkedIn
- Listen to The Business of AI podcast episode with Harvard Business School Prof Marco Iansiti
- Tech for Non-Techies YouTube channel
To attend Tech for Non-Technical Founders in London on May 10 2022 in London, book your ticket here and use PODCAST to get £5 off the price.
Listen here on Apple Podcasts.
Listen here on Spotify.
If you like learning about how tech products and profits get made, you'll like our newsletter.
It's funny too. Sign up here.
There are 2 ways to apply this work to your unique challenges:
- If your company is going through digital transformation and you want your non-techie teams to be active participants
Then get in touch with us about bespoke training & consulting on [email protected]
For individuals, if you want to:
- Build tech a venture as a non-technical innovator
- Succeed in tech as a non-techie
Then Tech For Non-Techies membership is for you.
We love hearing from our readers and listeners. So if you have questions about the content or working with us, just get in touch on [email protected]
(Photo by Tim Mossholder Unsplash)
Sign up to our mailing list!
Be the first to hear about offers, classes and events