57. How to have a great career in tech, lessons from Reid HoffmanJul 28, 2021
“The business strategies employed by highly successful start-ups and the career strategies employed by highly successful individuals are strikingly similar," says Reid Hoffman in his book The Startup of You.
If you want to have a great career in tech as non-techie, but don’t know how to get started, this episode is for you.
Learning notes from this episode:
- Hoffman says we all have 3 puzzle pieces in our careers: our assets, our aspirations & values and market realities.
- Plan your career 2 steps ahead. For example, if you work in finance and your aim is to get into product management, it’s unlikely you’ll just leap from one to the other. This is going to require an interim step, like volunteering with a start-up on weekends.
- Invest in learning transferable digital skills. If you learn the basics of how apps, sites and algorithms get made, and when tech decisions overlap with business decisions, so many opportunities will open up to you.
Join our free masterclass on How To Transition Into A Career In Tech on 4 August 2021.
Listen here on Apple Podcasts.
Listen here on Spotify.
Do you have a brilliant app idea and no tech knowledge to build it? Get your FREE guide here.
To go deeper, join the Tech for Non-Techies membership community. As a community member, you'll get:
- Weekly live masterclasses with global experts
- Mini-course on how to go from idea to live app
- Supportive Online Community
- Library of masterclasses
- Monthly live coaching with Sophia Matveeva, tech entrepreneur & Chicago Booth MBA
- Exclusive Resources & Perks
Learn more and sign up at https://www.techfornontechies.co/membership
Say hi to Sophia on Twitter.
(Image source: Wikimedia, licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license)
Sign up to our mailing list!
Be the first to hear about offers, classes and events