134. 2023 Prediction 2: Silicon Valley’s white male focus brings opportunity for everyone elseJan 18, 2023
Despite the many press releases touting Silicon Valley's diversity efforts, the majority of funding from this innovation will still go to white males in 2023.
While this reality is not what many of us want, it is an opportunity for investors and innovators to capture overlooked user markets.
Learning notes from this episode:
- A product is a solution to a problem a human is experiencing. Innovators make solutions for problems they are familiar with, which means that homogeneity in founders means homogeneity in products.
- This means there is more competition amongst products that solve problems experienced by male founders, such as laundry services and food delivery apps, than in other niches, such as female healthcare.
- While funding will be harder to get for products not aimed at the white male market, competition in these sectors will also often be lower. Ultimately, this means big untapped opportunities.
- Companies ran by founders who are not white males are often undervalued.
- This is an opportunity for investors to get lower risk for higher return, as angels, VCs and corporate investors.
- These are not market dynamics that we want, however it is the world we live in today. By focussing on finding opportunities, Digital Leaders are more likely to win in the long run.
Listen here on Apple Podcasts
Listen here on Spotify
If you like learning about how tech products and profits get made, you'll like our newsletter.
It's funny too. Sign up here.
Tech for Non-Techies clients
- Reach senior leadership positions in Big Tech firms
- Lead digital transformation in established businesses
- Create tech businesses as non-technical founders
- Pivot into careers in venture capital
If you want to have a great career in the Digital Age, then APPLY FOR A CONSULTATION CALL.
What happens when you apply for a consultation call:
- Sophia and her team will look through your application. If they genuinely think Sophia could help you, you will get a link to her calendar..
- You will have a 20 – 30 minute call to discuss your goals and see if you are a good fit for each other.
- If we establish that Tech for Non-Techies courses + coaching could help you and believe we would enjoy working together, we will discuss a relevant approach to suit you.
- The aim of the call is not to sell you on anything that is not right for you. We both win if you get results, but we both lose if you don’t.
We love hearing from our readers and listeners. So if you have questions about the content or working with us, just get in touch on [email protected]
(Photo by Austin Distel on Unsplash)
Sign up to our mailing list!
Be the first to hear about offers, classes and events