127. How apps get built to be addictive: the Hook Model
Nov 30, 2022
Why do you keep checking your phone, even when you’re trying not to? It's because the apps on your phone use the Hook Model. described by Nir Eyal in his book Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products.
To learn how apps like Instagram, LinkedIn and Vivino keep us coming back to our screens, listen to this episode.
Learning notes from this episode:
- Habits are behaviours done with little or no conscious thought
- If your product becomes a habit, people will use it more. You will spend less on advertising and make more money.
- The greatest return on investment generally comes from increasing the product's ease of use.
- If you want to improve a product, first look at the design: where you can make it more simple to use. E.g. can you require less information from users when they first sign up?
- The Hook model consists of 4 steps
- Trigger: you get a notification that someone commented on your post
- Action: you open LinkedIn / Instagram to see the comment
- Variable Reward: you find out what the comment was and by whom. Depending on these factors, you might feel happy, sad, excited, disappointed
- Investment: you make another post – this is an investment of your time and energy, and you keep coming back for more.
Listen here on Spotify
Join our next FREE Masterclass on 30 November 2022, 12 pm EST / 5 pm GMT
You will learn:
- The top mistake non-technical leaders make when it comes to tech
- Leadership case studies from Netflix & Microsoft
- How to go from traditional business manager to Digital Leader
SIGN UP HERE
If you like learning about how tech products and profits get made, you'll like our newsletter.
It's funny too. Sign up here.
Tech for Non-Techies clients
- Reach senior leadership positions in Big Tech firms
- Lead digital transformation in established businesses
- Create tech businesses as non-technical founders
- Pivot into careers in venture capital
If you want to have a great career in the Digital Age, then APPLY FOR A CONSULTATION CALL.
What happens when you apply for a consultation call:
- Sophia and her team will look through your application. If they genuinely think Sophia could help you, you will get a link to her calendar..
- You will have a 20 – 30 minute call to discuss your goals and see if you are a good fit for each other.
- If we establish that Tech for Non-Techies courses + coaching could help you and believe we would enjoy working together, we will discuss a relevant approach to suit you.
- The aim of the call is not to sell you on anything that is not right for you. We both win if you get results, but we both lose if you don’t.
We love hearing from our readers and listeners. So if you have questions about the content or working with us, just get in touch on [email protected]
Say hi to Sophia on Twitter and follow her on LinkedIn.
Following us on Facebook, Instagram and TikTok will make you smarter.
(Photo by Rob Hampson on Unsplash)