37. APIs: why Uber uses Google MapsMar 10, 2021
You can login to Bumble with Facebook and Uber uses Google maps. This happens because Uber's servers are connected to Google via a special widget called the API.
In this podcast episode, Sophia Matveeva teaches what APIs are and how companies can use them to grow users and revenue. This is a great episode if you want to see an example of when tech strategy is also business strategy.
APIs are certainly not a concept that should be left to the techies alone.
- The server is like a brain: it is a processing organ. But, just as a brain needs sensory organs to give and receive information in the form of a mouth, eyes and ears, so does a server. The server's sensory organs are the APIs.
- APIs are snippets of code that let you borrow another app's functionality or data, like Google Maps within Uber.
- APIs can help companies grow their user base, make more money and collect more data about user behaviour. Deciding what APIs you product should have open is therefore both a business and a technical decision.
To join Sophia's FREE masterclass on mid March 2021 on Break Into Tech: Masterclass for Non-Technical Founders, register here.
Listen here on Apple Podcasts.
Listen here on Spotify.
Do you have a brilliant app idea and no tech knowledge to build it? Get your FREE guide here.
To watch the full session on video and access learning notes, join the Tech for Non-Techies membership community. As a community member, you'll get:
- Weekly live masterclasses with global experts
- Mini-course on how to go from idea to live app
- Supportive Online Community
- Library of masterclasses
- Monthly live coaching with Sophia Matveeva, tech entrepreneur & Chicago Booth MBA
- Exclusive Resources & Perks
Learn more and sign up at https://www.techfornontechies.co/membership
Say hi to Sophia on Twitter.
Following us on Facebook and Instagram will make you smarter.
Photo credit: Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash
Sign up to our mailing list!
Be the first to hear about offers, classes and events