Do you have an idea for an app or a web-based business, but no idea how to build it? In this course you will get an overview of the basic concepts you need to run or launch a tech startup as a non-technical founder from someone who has done it themselves.
A non-technical founder’s job is not to learn to code, but to successfully manage the technology production process and make sure it aligns with business goals. To do this successfully, non-technical founders need to understand technology workflows, learn how to ask the right questions and collaborate with designers and developers.
Sophia Matveeva teaches this course in person in London, including at London Business School. Previous course attendees used the course to get funding for their startups and transition into tech careers.
In this online course you will learn
1) The product lifecycle
- Workflow: from idea to product. The steps to take and the professionals involved
- How to learn what you really need and avoid the rest
- Investors’ view
2) Product Management basics
- What product managers do and how that fits into the job of running a startup
- Aligning business metrics with product metrics
- Product management interview questions
- Why designing for users is different to designing for beauty
- How to test if users like and understand your designs
- How to connect design to code
- Why one costs more than the other
- Back end and server basics
5) Analysis, AI and the feedback loop
- How to analyse your product for continuous improvement
- What data scientists really do
- Building the AI factory: the four components
- AI algorithm: not as hard as it sounds
This course assumes no prior knowledge of technology.
This course is great for:
- Entrepreneurs who want to build technology products but do not have technical backgrounds
- Non-technical professionals working in tech companies
- Business school students who want to supplement their business knowledge
- Professionals wanting to transition to the fast-growing technology sector
- Professionals servicing tech company clients, e.g. recruiters, lawyers, consultants
Downloadable materials for each module (worth £50).
Recommended reading, podcasts & videos to enhance your learning.
The course will consist of five modules, split over five weeks. The course content will consist of pre-recorded videos, written material, suggested reading and homework each week to solidify your learning. The course also includes three live webinars led by Sophia, which will be your chance to ask questions and get feedback.
You will also have access to the material via shorter videos and written material, so you can learn at your own pace.
There is very limited availability to purchase both the course and a 1-2-1 advisory session with Sophia. Advisory sessions are usually £250 but in this one time offer you can buy the online course and a coaching session for the total price of £200. These tickets are extremely limited and once they're gone, they're gone.
Dates: 15 June - 20 July
- Early bird (before 9 June or until they sell out): £69.99
- Standard: £99.99
- 1-2-1 Advisory + course: £200
All sales are final and no refunds are available. This is a self-study course and individual feedback or direction is not included, aside from live webinar Q&A. Three live webinars will take place on Monday at 12:30 pm and will last 30 minutes. Course materials are available until 30 December 2020. Spaces are limited.
The live webinars will take place on:
- Monday 22 June, 12:30 - 1:00pm London
- Monday 6 July, 12:30 - 1:00pm London
- Monday 20 July, 12:30 - 1:00pm London
The live webinars will be Q&A sessions where students can ask clarifying questions and get feedback.
What happens if I can't attend the live sessions?
Will I get feedback for my homework?
What if I don't have an idea or if I'm not a founder?
Do I need to know how to code or have any technical skills?
Lucia Marin Fabian,
Founder of Loop
I attended Tech for Non-Technical Founders and it helped me understand all the aspects involved in developing an app, and helped me get investment to build my first prototype.
Sophia explained everything in a very clear and simple way. I couldn’t recommend this workshop highly enough
Fru Bekefi, Second Home, Community & Innovation Programme Manager
Sophia’s ‘What non-technical founders really need to know about tech’ is excellent. Expect lots of actionable insights on what you need to know (hint, you won’t need to code) and how you can learn to work with developers and technical co-founders.
You’ll end up saving years in trial, error and making your own mistakes.